1. eggsohplenty

eggsohplenty New Egg

May 14, 2011
    I'm looking at using my old dog kennel for my my coop run. It would make it 10' x 10' and 48" high. Looking at having 4 - 5 chickens total. Do i need to have a top or can I leave it open??

2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I converted my old dog run to a chicken run and left it open at first. I had one banty hen who flew out the top a couple times so I ended up covering it because of her. Plus we get a lot of rain and the hens seem to spend a lot more time in the run now it is covered. Where do you live?

3. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Do you have hawks in the area? That would be a big concern of mine. I've also heard of birds flying easily onto 6ft fences.. what kind of birds do you have?

4. eggsohplenty

eggsohplenty New Egg

May 14, 2011
    I don't have any birds yet. Trying to get my coop and run done 1st. I live in a rural area so I'm pretty sure hawks could be an issue. I'm sure I could make some kind of "top" with some bracing and chicken wire. Just trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

5. eggsohplenty

eggsohplenty New Egg

May 14, 2011
    I don't have any birds yet. Trying to get my coop and run done 1st. I live in a rural area so I'm pretty sure hawks could be an issue. I'm sure I could make some kind of "top" with some bracing and chicken wire. Just trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by