Run Door dimensions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by audiomilk, Jan 3, 2013.

1. audiomilk

audiomilk Chillin' With My Peeps

What are ideal measurements for a run door opening? From the coop into the run?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For you or for the chickens?

My pop door is 12" x 12". I've had a 6 month old midget white tom turkey use it. He was bigger than any chicken is likely to get. But depending on how your coop is framed, it might be easier to build a bigger one and tie it to the frame.

If it is for you, I suggest making it big enough so you can carry things through it and tall enough so you don't bump your head.

I don't believe in magic numbers for much to do with chickens. It's just whatever works for you.

2 people like this.
  3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    And works for the chickens too!

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The pop door from the coop to the run is 12" x 16". The chickens duck, but come and go with ease. The backside of the coop is in three sections, two of which are hinged as doors so that I can reach inside while standing. I can close the pop door and keep the chickens in the run while I clean or whatever.

I have a full size door into the run from the yard, so that I can take a wheelbarrow inside if needed. I rarely need to go into the run for any reason. The food is in the coop and the water is supplied from outside of the run.

Chris

5. audiomilk

audiomilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks everyone, great input

6. Dougie

Dougie New Egg

Jan 4, 2013
    12" X 12" seems to be the number, but some automatic door openers require 14.5 inches and approx 36" of height for their unit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by