Run-down chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdgirl408, Oct 31, 2015.

1. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I was wondering what course of action to take with my girlie Bea. She went broody about 11 weeks ago and hasn't laid since. She's had a few traumas, lost her buddy chicken and then had to deal with some newbies coming into the garden. They were all kept in their separate quarters but integrated really well in time. The newbies were babies, but they are now at point of lay. Her comb and wattles are looking a little pale and she has had a big moult so has lots of new feathers coming through still. I gave her some Gro2max probiotic yesterday, but she wouldn't take much. Today she has had some yoghurt. All this along with her regular pellets. Is there anything else or something better I can give her please?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How did you administer the Gro2max. It's intended to be mixed with water or feed. I put a quarter teaspoon in a gallon of water. Let it sit for an hour while the bacteria and yeast populate the water.

Stress stops ovulation, broodiness stops ovulation, molting stops ovulation. How long was she broody?
    If a hen were to sit and hatch eggs, she wouldn't lay while she was raising chicks so that takes them out of commission for 2 months or more. She won't lay until molt regrowth is complete and then may not lay until after winter solstice unless you add light. It won't help to add light while she's still recovering from molt.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are her 'regular' pellets?
    Maybe bump up her daily animal protein content to help with the growing of new feathers.

Pale comb probably just because she's not laying, they also can be rather inactive and crabby and may isolate and rest a lot more while growing new feathers.

As long as she's eating drinking and pooping OK....
    ....just be patient, she'll perk back up.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  4. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks guys. ChickenCanoe: because I wanted to get some probiotic into her quickly I put the tip of a teaspoon of the powder into some yoghurt to feed her separately. I did't want to add it to the water particularly because of the other chickens. (I have six in total: 3 at point of lay and 2 youngsters and then of course Bea approx 18months to 2yrs). Am I correct in assuming it is Ok to give ALL the hens this Gro2Max even if they don't need it? She was broody for 7 days, then got back to normal except for the laying. She has lost quite a bit of weight and is now just under 6lb which I suppose is nearly 3Kg.

aart: Her regular pellets are 'layers' and she has cereal for breakfast along with the others. What sort of protein are you suggesting? She occasionally has fresh corn on the cob and regular veggies (not potato).

5. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    Oooh and I forgot, she has dried mealworms and as a treat sunflower hearts. [​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pay attention to the protein content of 'regular' feed and any other foods you give.
    Layer feed is usually about 16%, read the feed bag labels, which is about the minimum they need to lay.
    If you add other foods low in protein, you are diluting their overall protein...easy to do if you are unaware.

My Feeding Notes: I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

7. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks aart, that is most helpful. [​IMG]

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All of your chicken will benefit and Gro2Max is the first I'm aware of that is formulated specifically for chickens. The formula was developed in Egypt and BNA got the rights to market it in the US.
    I put it in hatchlings' first water. Every month or two I put it in the adults' water. I also add it to the fermented feed. It goes farther that way because a little bit will populate the feed over days.

9. birdgirl408

Dec 23, 2014
    ChickenCanoe - you say you give the Gro2Max in the adult hen water every 1-2 months, is that just for one day every one or two months or over a period of 2 - 3 days? On the packet I have it says to give every 1 - 3 days presumably always and not just once every month. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here! [​IMG]

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's OK. Some is better than none.
    I have 6 flocks of adults not counting chicks. So when I do it for adults, I pick a day and when I make up fresh water in their founts, that usually lasts them 2 or 3 days. Then I don't give it again for a month or two. ONce the gut is populated it should stay populated with good bacteria and yeasts until something disrupts or kills that.

Most of my flocks have bulk automatic water with nipple systems so they get most of their water from that. I don't use the Gro2Max in those because the nipples get clogged very easily.

Have you read the information in the links on the following?
    http://www.gro2max.com/#!why-probiotics?
    It is very enlightening.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by