Run enclosure

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PotterWatch, Jul 5, 2008.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How do you have your run enclosed? We will be building a run starting sometime this month (hopefully!). So far we just let the chickens out of their coops, we have two of them, into the backyard to roam around in the afternoons. The only problem is that we now have a chicken-chasing dog who I am sure would grab one of the chickens given half a chance. I am looking to build a run about 10x15 and tall enough that I can walk into it without having to stoop. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this and would love to hear how others have enclosed their runs. Thanks!

2. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think this will help you very much but this is what we did:

We have a large dog kennel which serves as our run. And then we have a shed-like coop with a ramp connected to the run. There is chicken wire burried deep and then attached, running up the sides of the run to keep out predators.
    We turn the poultry out every morning and bring them in the coop at night.

[​IMG]

3. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    I used old dog kennel panels that I had to build my run, and used welded wire on the gables

[​IMG]

4. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Jaybr, that is a really good idea!! I never thought of that. I love the top of the run.

5. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

We built the Playhouse Coop, so yes, the run has solid peaked roof. But of course it snows in MA, and we also have plenty of hawks because we're close to conservation land.

A friend of mine who lives 5 minutes away has her run open and the fencing is chain link at the standard height. It's under dense tree cover and she claims to have no predator problems.

~Phyllis

6. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    We used 4x4 posts and hardware cloth. On the bottom is 4 ft hardware cloth and overlapped with 2ft hardware cloth...stappled into the posts and supports that are 2x4s. Pretty secure run. Top it off with netting to keep the hawks out. don't have to worry much when you put them out and have to go to work or leave for any reason.

7. Jaybr

Jaybr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Matoaca, VA
    Chickaroo! :

Jaybr, that is a really good idea!! I never thought of that. I love the top of the run.

Thanks,

I've also added a 2x4 roost across the top about 6 1/2' up now for the guineas, and hung the feeder and waterer from the top. I have a nice tarp that I'm covering it with today.​

8. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you have two and are probably very attached to them, it would be great to provide perfect protection. You could easily frame something that would keep out predators using hardware cloth (1/2" mesh). Some pic in my home page below...have fun![​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for all the ideas! If I use hardware cloth or welded wire, I know I will have to use some about 4 or 5ft and then put another section of 2ft on top of that. How would I close up the area where they overlap?

10. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My hubby just finished our run yesterday...woohoo! And what he did, in the spots that they overlapped, was leave the smooth factory edge on the inside and the cut edge on the outside, so the girls don't hurt themselves. Then he just wired it together about every two inches. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by