Run fencing question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BCMominMD, May 7, 2009.

1. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    If you used 1/2" hardware cloth buried 1 foot for the run fencing, would you still need an apron extending 2-3 feet up?

2. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I still put the hardware cloth 3 feet up and chicken wire the next 4 feet. I saw pictures on this site where racoons had spread broken the chicken wire and spread it apart enough to be able to still get in.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would say, yes. It serves two different purposes.

Buried wire is to prevent predators from digging under and into the run. It can also be attached to the run wall at the bottom and left on top of the ground, if burying it is a problem. You can stake it down if you need to.

Putting wire with smaller holes around the bottom section of the run, several feet up from the ground, is to keep raccoons from reaching through and dismembering a chicken. Chickens like to rest against the wire or come over because they're curious. It's also to keep curious chickens from sticking their heads out and getting killed by predators. Unfortunately, they just have no idea that they are doing something that will get them killed. This can happen with predators like dogs or foxes, too.

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I actually saw the feather-only remains of a hen that a raccoon had eaten alive a bite at a time through a one-inch section of one-inch chicken wire.

Edit: That's why my run is 100% 1/2-inch hardware cloth. Chicken wire is ONLY for CHICKENS, nothing else.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. BCMominMD

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    I was just wondering if it was already 1/2"hardware cloth (which I don't think a coon could reach through) why you would line it again. Am I missing something?
    Thanks for you patience.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If your fencing is allready 1/2" hardware cloth, you still need to address the digging. I achieved security by using 1/2 sheets of plastic latice paneling under the fencing with one foot on the outside and one on the inside. I just split the panels in half lengthwize and slid them under and fastened them to the fencing. So far so good......Pop

7. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    do you have to put the wire underground?

8. BCMominMD

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    I was planning on burying the 1/2" hardware cloth 12'' in the ground as the posts will already be dug that deep anyway and we will trench between them.

So hardware cloth buried and hardware cloth run fence. I gather then it is OK not to have some other fencing inside that for the first 2-3 feet?

9. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I didn't put hardware cloth under the ground as I think it's iron and will rust away. I got some of that aluminum flashing that's put around chimneys on roofs that was 12" wide and used that to attach to the bottom of my run and put some under ground "L'd" out from the run. then I put hardware cloth up 3" and chicken wire up the remainder 4' of the run.

10. BCMominMD

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    Good point.
    I will have to look into the rust factor. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by