1. Fireater34

Fireater34 New Egg

Jan 15, 2017
    Bloomfield IN
    Ok bout have my coop built. Planning on having run coming off one side of the coop for now. Since blowing initial budget on going over the top on the coop, looking to go economy for the initial run. I already have a bunch of 6' T posts. Curious about running chain link with 3'-4' high chicken wire along the bottom of the chain link. Of course planning on 2' hardware wire around the base for anti digging. Would this be sufficient against cats, coons, fox, coyotes etc? Also what would be a sufficient top covering for said run?

Thanks!

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Personally I would do hardware cloth instead of chicken wire on the sides as well as the apron. Get a 4' wide bolt and use 2 to 2.5' on the sides with the remainder as the apron, and that'll help provide coverage for the gap at the bottom of the chain link. Most chicken wire is really too flimsy to hold up well and hardware cloth isn't that expensive.

I don't have my run covered so can't say for sure what would be best (I assume you want it covered for aerial predators? Or is it for rain/snow?) If snow isn't a huge concern maybe the chicken wire would work up there against hawks/owls, but if it snows or rains a lot whatever you choose to cover the run with needs to be able to withstand the weight, or have channels to let it fall through.

3. Fireater34

Fireater34 New Egg

Jan 15, 2017
    Bloomfield IN
    Where do you find the cheap hardware cloth? Everywhere (hardware stores) I've seen it they seem outrageously proud of their cloth!

4. twoacrefarm

twoacrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2016
    Indiana
    We used 2x4 welded wire 12.5 Guage for our run, and it was cheaper than chanlink. It was 5ft. We were fencing off a camper car port, but we also went to the garden section of lowes and got a plastic "deer fencing" for the top of the fence to keep predators from swooping in.

5. M T Pockets

M T Pockets Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2016
    Got mine on Ebay free freight and fast delivery. About the best price you can find.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I ordered from Amazon along with other supplies like hog rings, lawn staples, pliers, a tin cutter. Got the whole lot for under $100. Obviously cost will vary depending on how large your run is.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by