Run Fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by opi8, Mar 24, 2009.

1. opi8

opi8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi All,

I had 3 rolls of steel "rubber/plastic" coated Mesh fencing donated to me. The size of the holes are 2" x 3". I am planning to bury approx. 6" into the ground. leaving the run approx 4 foot tall. I also plan on covering the run with this same material.

My question.... are the 2" x 3" holes in the fencing to large for chickens? Will it be safe against predators?
    I am really hoping it will work, but I want to get some opinions before I trench all of it and realize later that it will not work.

Thanks In Advance for everybody's help!

Opi

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I don't think a chicken would be able to fit through it. 4ft should be high enough unless your chickens can flutter pretty high. The only thing I would be worried about is something squeezing through the holes. You wouldn't think anything could but a small raccon or something even smaller may be able to fit through it.

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It will work for chickens (if they are old enough) and as a cover for the run. It will not stop all predators. It will certainly not stop weasels, if you have them in your area. Not sure about burying it; I'd think it would discourage most diggers.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine will certainly fly over a 4' fence. As a cover, it will work against birds (hawks etc.) Some breeds fly higher than others, and this can be limited to some extent by wing clipping.

I hope some others with good experience in predator proofing will chime in here.

5. bayside chick

bayside chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Anything larger than 1/2in. X 1/2in. will not be predator proof...they can stick there paws through and grab your chicks right through it. I recently had them get my Bantems through 1 X 1 welded wire [​IMG]

I would use the 1/2 in. a minimum of 2ft. high and 2ft.out from the coop/run , then maybe what you already have could be used for the rest of it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by