1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run finally done!! Chickens outside this weekend! *PICS HEAVY*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lisa202, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    My DH, AS (amazing son) and I finally finished the run this Saturday morning. [​IMG] Ok... ok, we did buy the coop mostly assembled and only had to make some modifications to it. We could have never made this coop, but we did make the run ourselves. (we're not very good with wood, so this is an accomplishment.) We purchased the coop from Horizon Structures and it is a great coop and they were great to work with. I would definitely use them again.
    The chicks were very apprehensive when we brought them out and still haven't ventured out into the run yet, but they eventually will when they're ready.

We used PT 4x4's for the base with a 2x4 sill on top of them. We put 1/2" hardware cloth attached to the base then 1 cubic yard (2500lbs)construction sand over the wire. 1/2" hardware cloth attached to 2x4 walls with heavy duty staples and then covered with firring (sp?) strips over the edges and screwed in to form a wood and wire sandwich. The roof is the pvc roof with a 1 foot slant for rain and snow. (6' in front and 5' in back) We attached the coop to the run by making a box on the coop and pushing the coop up to the run and securing with more 2x4's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pay no attention to that dip in roof of the run. The front of the run is also 3" longer than the back...go figure??.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DH tempting them with mealworms to come out into the run.
    [​IMG]
    DH waiting patiently (with a beer) for them to come out.
    [​IMG]
    They were afraid of the new feeder and waterer, so I put out the old ones for a couple hours. I also have since put the waterer on 2 patio stones to stop the shavings from making their way into it. In just 1 hour, there were more shavings in there than water.
    [​IMG]

I'm soooo glad to be done. [​IMG] Now I can sit back and enjoy my chickens...and watch them poop up everything [​IMG]

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    [​IMG] Last comment...precious. For not being good with wood, it looks spectacular. Wonder what it would look like if u were good?

3. isabrownmom

isabrownmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks awesome!! Those are some lucky chickens!!

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Well done!

5. S*T*A*R

S*T*A*R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    That is a marvelous run+coop! Nice job! Think you can come build one of those for me?........... [​IMG]

6. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I love it. Great job on the run. The babies are so cute. This is just like my first coop. Very convenient and easy to clean. I did the deep litter method and when cleaning out, I would use a snow shovel to get most of the litter out, then just took my blower and put it in the pop door to blow the dust out the big door.

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    The salt box is my favorite style of coop. Yours is adorable. You did a great job on the run too! NEVER point out your flaws, most people wouldn't even notice [​IMG]

Isn't it a fun adventure? Now just wait when they start laying!! [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Wow, pretty darned wonderful! Well done! [​IMG]

9. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Nice Run and Coop. I'm sure your chicks will live very well there. I noticed you had sand in the run ? I don't know if that is actually sand but I want to give you some advice...chickens will usually not walk on sand and it is very messy when you have poop all over the place. Ducks love sand but not chickens. That is probably the reason they wont venture out. I have just plain dirt in my run and that's what they are used to. They need dirt to bathe in as well...they will dig in the dirt and bury themselves to bathe...This is essential for them to rid of mites, fleas.ect....It also gives them lots of hours of digging and gathering pebbles to digest for their Gizzard...they need small rocks to be able to digest their food. I also spread WHEAT straw over the dirt and that gives them a warm, soft surface to lay on and hours and hours of scratching around... They LOVE straw. Don't use Hay because it molds when wet and can be fatal to chickens if ingested...I hope this helps and again, VERY nice !!! Ray

10. Ladymaran

Ladymaran Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Wow, that is super nice! I need a run for my chickens, but haven't had the time or know-how to build one. I have been looking in Craigslist hoping to find a run I can attach to their coop. Love that pix of your hubby in the run, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by