Run floor material?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PuffMommy, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PuffMommy

PuffMommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fairfield, CT
    What is best? Sand? The grass is gone and the poop is building up. I read somewhere on this site that sand is best and the poop can be raked out. Is this right? Thanks!

2. Krysstyllanthrox

Krysstyllanthrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Tulsa
    In the months that I've been reading the board I have seen suggestions of:

~Pine Straw (supposed to help with the smell)
    ~Play Sand (for ease of cleaning the poopies)
    ~Peat Moss (cheap)

3. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Don't mean to hijak the thread, but I would love to here from those who use sand...I have been considering that option.

4. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    Oh..me too...I would like to know what the BYC family suggests...I think I will use the wood pellets and or pine shavings in coop.. but am not sure what to do about the run...mine will be over concrete...any thoughts

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am also interested in what to use on the run floor. Mine is gravelly sand right now, the gravel is kind of big...worried about chicken feet.

6. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I'm interested in what folks use, too. I was planning on using coarse sand, cuz we have a big pile of it left over from another project. I figured that vegetation will grow up through the sand, too, if it has a chance. And can they use sand for their dirt baths or do they need actual dirt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by