Run flooring?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mckeecoop, Jul 9, 2016.

1. mckeecoop

mckeecoop New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Jacksonville FL
    New chicken owner here, what would you guys recommend doing for the flooring on an chicken run? What I mean is, should I keep it just on grass (which I'm guessing wouldn't last long), or use sand, or a combination of a bunch of stuff etc.? Thank you for your input![​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

first of all Welcome to BYC [​IMG] from San Diego.

Lots of people use sand its good for climates that get a lot of rain... they put a border around the base so the sand doesnt drift out.... Easy to clean with a rake...

Another thing good for humid climates is Rice hulls.... If you can get a hold of them they are excellent bedding the birds love them too and you can compost them in the garden.

But they are sometimes hard to find. There is a distributer here in California because we have a major rice producer in the Sacremento area. My horse LOVES rice hulls the chickens love to pick through them and pick out the left over rice bits. They can get a hard rain on them and within hours the top surface will be almost dry to the touch.

I use Plain old Decomposed Granite.... dont have dirt or sand....

deb

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Combo of dry plant matter is best in the long run.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by