Run flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Linzal12, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Linzal12

Linzal12 New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    I have an existing 16'x16' dog kennel fenced on all sides and top, but the flooring is concrete blocks. I don't want to tear up the flooring, and the best idea I can come up with is 2-3 inches of sand. Is there anything else I could put over is that would be better?

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    you could lay a thin board on the blocks and then sand or shavings on top of that

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    It is open to the weather, right? I would put lots of leaves in there, instead of sand. When it gets yucky, just rake out the leaves, hose of the blocks and put down fresh leaves. Chickens love to scratch around in them and they could be added to a compost pile afterwards. Hay isnt good when it gets wet, and you would not be able to hose it out if you used sand.

4. Linzal12

Linzal12 New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    Leaves sound like a good idea, and I could get enough right now to last all winter. I am thinking that wood shavings will be to absorbent in an open run. Would something like mulch work after I run out of leaves.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sand is the best option because anything organic will hold moisture and odors

I'd run boards around the bottom and put at LEAST 6" of sand

6. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you do use leaves, don't intend going inside cuz you won't ever see what it is mushing tween you toes. You just know it there. I keep mine raked out from all the leaves. I like it hard dirt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by