1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sam1980, Jan 26, 2014.

1. sam1980

sam1980 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Due to the amount of rain we have had recently the ground is totally saturated.

I haven't got my coop or chickens yet. Just thinking things through at the moment.

Im considering putting the coop on our back yard. Its well draining, its concrete though. I don't want the chicken to get sore feet so im thinking about flooring for the run. My first thought was rubber stable matting. Ive had a look around the forum and it seems people don't recommend them without a substrate on top. But with the wind and rain a substrate seems silly.

The area could be easily hosed as often as needed.

The plan was 3/4 rubber matting and 1/4 chunky wood chipping at one end so they have something to scratch around in.

What do you think?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I suggest against the rubber matting because they will peck at it and eat it. Have you considered sand? It is soft on the feet, is easy to clean (just rake out the poo), drains well, and can be grit when they eat it. You don't have to "change" sand and it costs $3 for a 50lb bag, even cheaper if you get it loose.

3. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I second the sand suggestion.

4. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    I will also use sand.

5. sam1980

Jan 24, 2014
    Can they really peck at heavy duty rubber matting? It stands up to metal horse shoes. Can't really use sand. As when it rains or is cleaned out some will wash down into the drains here which are soke aways. So will be blocked in no time

1 person likes this.
  6. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    Rubber is very porous and smells bad when wet and they eat anything they can. I would either go with a deep littler like straw or pvc tray

My thought would be on pvc sheet tray and a hardware cloth. The tray working like a drawer.

I hate sand but I'm coming from an area where sandstorms are common. (I hate the smell, taste, texture etc)

The chickens don't come in contact with the tray and you can hose it

All you do is make a deep enough box to handle your litter needs (hot glue or caulking works and I recommend 1 inch at least) and then a hardware cloth platform. The droppings pass through, the chickens keep dry and it's easy to toss/compost litter.

Construction Part

Dependent on coop cut piece to desired length width height. One big bottom piece and the 4 sides

The platform is just a floor raised about an inch. Make sure the hardware cloth is on the side or underneath.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't think the rubber horse mats can be eaten by chickens, they are very dense.

Your coop or you run is concrete?? Dry coop floor you could use the mats, but concrete is no place for a chicken run, they need a place to scratch.

1 person likes this.
  8. sam1980

Jan 24, 2014
    Like I mentioned. I don't have either chickens or run yet.

Were flooded here at the moment which is why I considered putting the run out the back on the concrete with a rubber floor and a bark/wood chipping one end as an area to scratch in.

9. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx

I promise it will stink to high heaven. Wet rubber with a side of feces really stinks. I know this because it is a common safety floor in nursing homes. I used to work in one for a short time. The elderly diapers don't always do the job and it ends up on the floor (especially when they have dementia and take off the diapers)

Chickens will scratch and eat everything. Think of a chicken floor like a cat post and how well it will stand up.

It's not a bad idea to put the run where it doesn't flood. I am partial to the pvc tray method. You take a pvc sheet and make it into a box and put it under a hardware cloth platform. I love it because it is so easy to clean. Making the box is coop dependent but for the small litter method -1 in and bigger for deep litter. I don't know your measurements for your coop but the platform would be dependent on that. If you are having water problems you would be elevating the chickens. I would elevate how ever much you are flooded in general. I have lived in swamp areas. I feel your pain. hope your house is ok.

The sand method is back breaking in heavy rain areas. Wet sand is not fun. It's very heavy and you have to shovel it. If you are having water problems this is not good. The sand method works in light rain/not daily raining areas/not heavy rains. If you are having water problems sand would be bad. It literally be a pain in the neck.

10. sam1980

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks. I have rubber mats in my stables and because they are kept spotless I don't get an issue with smells.

I really don't like sand for here.

What about a wood chipping covering the concrete totally? It can be hosed through and replaced when needed?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by