Run gate protection

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sylvie, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    I know I need to cover my run for hawks and prevent the chickens flying out. I know I need to bury hardware cloth around the perimeter of the run.
    What do I do for the gate in the run to keep animals from digging under it. It seems to be the weak link in my run plans. I absolutely want a gate to enter the run from outside.

2. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Do what we did. We dug a hole and buried three cement blocks and left about two inches sticking up. Then we toped them with cement paver's and liquid nailed them . The gate rides about a 1/2 above the paver's. Nothing can dig through cement!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Sylvie

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    That sounds simple and I've got all those blocks and pavers, too! Thanks.

4. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Good luck Sylvie!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Excellent plan, I like it! We'll be making our gate tomorrow, I'm stealing your design [​IMG]

6. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Everyone Steal Away!!! Its Cheap and Bullet Proof,,,Plus you can scrape the mud off your feet when you leave the Run,,Perfect,, [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i got 6 pieces of "rebar" 3 foot long,, and just pounded them into the dirt just in front of the gate,, then have a paver over the top,, we have each bar abouy 4 or 5 inches from each other,,,, is like an underground jail,,hehe [​IMG]

8. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I like 'the1muchs' method to. I'll be watchin out for that 'jail underground' stuff. I know we have rebar,,,,Thanks!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Sylvie

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:With all the rain we are getting I think the mud scraper block is getting some serious consideration![​IMG]

10. MSP

MSP Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Mississippi
    My whole run, including the gate, has a 2x4 on the ground. I can attach buried hardware cloth all the way around this way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by