1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    I live in Florida with five silkies they're not grown yet but they're run is turning to dirt very quickly. I was just wondering if I needed to get something for the run like sand, or wood chips, or just something. It rains a lot in the summer and I wanted something that wood stay relatively unmuddy because they are silkies and get dirty very quickly. Thank you

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How big is the run?

3. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    The run is a 5X8 the coop is a 5X6 they can come in and out of the coop into the run all day.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    You might want to make the run bigger and put something down on the ground. Cut grass and leaves work well for them if you have that available.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  5. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you, I planned on expanding the run soon

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I throw everything but the kitchen sink in the run. I agree, if at all possible you might want to expand your run. In the coop about all they want to do is lay eggs and sleep. You are certainly on the right track with free access between coop and run.....so why not make that run as comfortable and spacious as possible?

On the floor of the run, toss down some wood chips. They love to dig through them. And toss in a generous amount of dry leaves, complete with the little twigs that get raked up with them. Those twigs add air spaces essential for breaking down the litter in the run and help with drainage, as well as keeping the leaves from packing down. The more variety of leaf shapes and sizes the better. You can add some dry grass clippings, pine needles, garden refuse, A bit of straw provides a little insulation on the floor of the run, with it's hollow stems, but not too much of that - just a bit from time to time. When I first started I used nothing but bales of pine shavings. Nice, but they just don't break down well. The same with large amounts of straw. Stir it up every so often, but when you toss a little treat in there you'll find that the chickens are more efficient at that process than we are! They can scratch and stir that surface up like nobody's business! The goal is a nice, soft deep litter that doesn't have to be changed weekly (I do partial changes once year - or even less at times) Some peat moss tossed on top also helps insulate and keep things drier.

Good luck!!

7. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you very much

8. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are so very welcome. I have some Silkies too, so I know what a hassle it is to try to keep those feathered feet and poofy little bodies clean!

9. weirdlywired

weirdlywired Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Bellevue NE
    My Coop
    We realized very quickly that our run would soon be nothing but dirt and decided to make and install grazing boxes over the remaining grass. Essentially it's a piece of hardware cloth attached to a wood frame over the top allowing the chickens to graze on the tops of the grass without pulling up the roots. It worked great!
    Next spring we plan on adding some herb seeds into the boxes to get them a better variety of greens.

10. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    That's a really cool idea I might actually try that! Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by