Run Height and Coop Door size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by roseredcreative, May 16, 2011.

1. roseredcreative

roseredcreative New Egg

May 16, 2011
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information or experience with whether or not chickens will go through a smaller door to get into their coop. For instance, I have a run that is about 2 1/2 feet tall, which is just high enough for them to stand on a little roost without hitting their heads. I want to build a coop off the end of the run, and I want the coop to be 1 1/2 feet off the ground, which would leave me with 1 foot for the entry hole at the top of the ramp going into the coop. Does anyone know if this is large enough for them? Will they duck their heads and go through a 1 foot tall opening? Or do I need to lower the coop and give them a large door?

Once I am finished, I will post my design, coming out pretty nice so far. My wife requested a "modern chicken pod" rather than a typical coop. So it's turning out pretty unique.

Thanks in advance for any information you have regarding this height issue.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes, they will still go in if they have to duck a little bit. [​IMG]

3. roseredcreative

roseredcreative New Egg

May 16, 2011
    thanks for the reply chicmom!

4. Chucken

Chucken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    NorCal SF East Bay
    Thanks for the answer, I was searching bofore asking the same question, however I'm building for chickens not ducks. : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by