1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I need to know how tall my run should be. A neighbor gave me some 5 ft chain lenght fence. I am not too worried about the chickens getting out because my dog is right outside the run hopefully they will not try to fly to him and they will be in their coop at night so will this work. I am still new to this whole chicken thing.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    It would be nice to have it as tall as you are, but not necessary. It needs to be as tall as the chickens at the very least. use the search button to take a look at some pics of other ppls coops and runs--that might give you some ideas.

3. mudshark

mudshark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    UK
  4. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Thats a great idea, I would love to see the pics but the url doesn't work...it says I dont have permission?! I don't know but thanks that is a good idea.

5. mudshark

Apr 23, 2008
    UK
  6. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Oh I see, does that keep them in?

7. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're going to put a top on it, it'll be best to have it a little taller than you are. It'll be much easier to navigate.

I hate crouching down to walk so I made sure it was taller than I!

8. mudshark

Apr 23, 2008
    UK
    Well mine are ex-battery hens so maybe stronger hens could get out? I get a fox every day in my garden so protection from that is my main concern and no problems yet. I've only had them a few weeks so 1st priority was to build an OK pen and then spend more time building the secure pen that will have mesh on top and buried mesh around the sides so that nothing can get in or out!

9. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Top keeps hawks out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by