1. dartfreak75

dartfreak75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    I'm building a run around my coop its gonna be pretty big I'm gonna put post in and run weld wire fencing how high should it be so my chickens cant fly or jump over it Im thinkin 7 or8 feet what do yall think if it helps I'm gonna have bramhas barred rocks and sex links

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Over time you will likely find some will be able to clear even a 10 foot fence. Clipping wing feathers may be required for some. Aditionally consider having run properly covered to deny hawks and owls.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I'd go shorter and cover it.

4. dartfreak75

Mar 8, 2013
    Yea my original plan was to cover it I was trying to cut cost down a little

5. HippoMom

HippoMom New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    Do many of you clip your chicken's flight feathers? Is that common?

6. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

One method I've heard that helps stop this is to have your fence about 6" higher than your posts, not anchored to anything. This would have the effect of not providing anything solid for the birds to land on, as they would most likely fly to the top, perch, and then fly down.

Before I covered mine, I saw one of mine (a BR)attempt to fly to the top of my wire fence. She got to the top (6' but she launched from a 3' high roost), but immediately fell back into the run when there was nothing but wire for her to grip onto.

For an inexpensive cover for your run, go to the garden section of your home improvement store and buy some bird netting It's black plastic and usually comes in a roll that's about 14' by 14'. It's lightweight, but the birds recognize that it's there and don't challenge it. I ran baling wire back and forth across the run to provide some support, then attached the bird netting to my fence with zip ties.

1 person likes this.
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I have clipped wings before but not many folks do it. It must be done correctly to properly inhibit flight and must be repeated following each moult. I no longer do it since flight sometimes requred to escape predators and always to get to my roosts that can be several feet high at very least.

8. dartfreak75

Mar 8, 2013
    I'm gonna measure everything tomorrow and see how much fence I'm gonna need I may just cover it one reason I didn't want to is I have Apple trees over head I thought that would be a nice summer treat for the chickens when the apples fall I may just cover half and leave the Apple tree half open

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I currently cover my run with deer netting to keep the hawks from having lunch. We're building a new coop and run and will be covering it for that reason and also to provide shade from the sun as well as protection from rain and snow.

10. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    +1 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by