Run: I know how much space I need but does shape of run matter?

Dobela

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
Arkansas
Important information: 2 ducks, 42 chicks, assorted breeds and sizes. Assorted ages now as well, but that is another topic.

Our coop is 12x 12 (I know a bit small but we are in a warm place, not to mention chicken math got the best of my son). My original plans were to make the run 18ish x 37ish. I have 200ft of wire, 100 allotted for the sides and 100 allotted for the top. Someone has told me that it will be too long and narrow to make my feathered friends happy. By having the run that size I wouldn't lose too much of the play yard area for my dd. It would also mean the run will be able to run alongside the fencing for the goats but not cross into their area.

Will this be too long and narrow?

I'm assuming you are measuring in feet...so 18 ft x 37 ft..? That is about twice as long as it is wide...meh, seems okay with me. I'd be more concerned if it were reeeaaalllly narrow, like 6 ft x 60 ft (or whatever) -- that might be uncomfortable. I say go with it, though I'm curious to see what others say.

Yes, I am speaking in feet LOL. I guess my brain isn't working as well as I thought this morning.
roll.png

Shape does not matter. Chickens do not know geometry, or what they "should" have. They will be glad to be outside pecking around
big_smile.png

Quote:
That's not long and narrow at all, it is merely twice as long as wide. No problem WHATSOEVER.

However it will be rather expensive to put a wire top on an 18' wide run -- at that width you pretty much can't avoid interior posts and wooden rafter-style supports, even assuming you live somewhere that doesn't get snow, and it would take >650 sq ft of wire, which even IF your wire is 6' wide you will fall slightly short. (unless that's where the "ish"es come in LOL). Just make sure you've thought all that through, especially if you do get snow (and I should think most parts of Arkansas do get big wet snow dumps sometimes?)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

The closer to square it is the more space you will get for the same amount of perimeter. 18x37 is 666 square feet and 27 1/2 square is 756 square feet. I agree that the chickens won't care if it is rectangular.

That's plenty wide for adversaries to avoid one another! As long as you don't have anything more than the typical "frienemy" pecking order stuff going on in the flock, you should be fine. I would only worry about shape if it forced birds that don't "like" each other to get in each others' space ... you're fine.

Quote:
That's not long and narrow at all, it is merely twice as long as wide. No problem WHATSOEVER.

However it will be rather expensive to put a wire top on an 18' wide run -- at that width you pretty much can't avoid interior posts and wooden rafter-style supports, even assuming you live somewhere that doesn't get snow, and it would take >650 sq ft of wire, which even IF your wire is 6' wide you will fall slightly short. (unless that's where the "ish"es come in LOL). Just make sure you've thought all that through, especially if you do get snow (and I should think most parts of Arkansas do get big wet snow dumps sometimes?)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

We have 100 ft of 4 ft high (with 2x4 holes) that was given to us and 200 ft of 6 ft high (again with 2x4 holes) that we bought for various projects. We understand about the bracing and rafters but don't see how we can avoid it with this many chickens. We also have lots of hawks, eagles, vultures, coons, and such so it will have to be covered. I have enough 3ft high hardwire cloth for the bottom and may follow our neighbors lead on the top by using chicken wire for that as added 'hole size reducer'. So far he has not had any problems from the top.

'Ishes' are important. My retired dad and his retired buddies are working on this for something to do. I can guarantee it will be strong and sturdy with strange measurements
wink.png

We are in south central Ar and usually don't have much snow - maybe an inch or 2 that melts in a day or 2 tops. Well, except for last winter of course LOL.

The closer to square it is the more space you will get for the same amount of perimeter. 18x37 is 666 square feet and 27 1/2 square is 756 square feet. I agree that the chickens won't care if it is rectangular.

Hmmm, interesting. Let me see what I can do. Dad and his buddies built the coop in the wrong place so I don't have as much square space as I would like but I may be able to square it up some.​

Just a thought. You might see if Dad and Buddies can put in two human doors, one at each end. Then if you decide to separate into two flocks for breeding or whatnot, you'll just need to put a wall down the middle... and another coop. Okay, maybe that's wasn't a great thought. It wouldn't be that much extra work in the scheme of things. Never mind...

Back
Top Bottom