1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

run in the woods?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stcroixusvi, Jun 29, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Not long ago I saw a great thread on building a run in the woods. I seem to remember the responses suggested running wire (forgot which kind) out a foot or so instead of down as a barrier because of the tree roots, and then putting dirt and ground cover over the wire. I have searched using similar words but can't find it [​IMG]. Would someone please help me out?

Here is our coop, although not a recent pic - windows are now open and peeps are happily inside, but would like their run to be finished:
    [​IMG]

The run will go in the back toward the woods. It will be 10 x 30 and 6 feet high with 2 x 4 hardware cloth up the sides and chicken wire across the top. So far we have been able to dig some holes for the posts but not without going through some roots.

Any ideas?

2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    beautiful coop! can't wait to see more pics! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
  4. pottymouthspoultry

pottymouthspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Adirondack Mountains
    Beautiful Coop!

5. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:That's it! Thank you so much. Will post more pics once we get the run finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by