Run maintenance

CooksCorner

Chirping
May 25, 2022
California, Bay Area
:frow
We are raising our first flock here. Our run is a great size for 14 chick's. My question is this.. do we need to maintain the run area in any special way. They are in our backyard on dirt. Besides raking out the poop what could we do to keep the ground fresh or cleaner?
They are not free range & have the space in the run only. Is there something to put on the ground?

:frow
We are raising our first flock here. Our run is a great size for 14 chick's. My question is this.. do we need to maintain the run area in any special way. They are in our backyard on dirt. Besides raking out the poop what could we do to keep the ground fresh or cleaner?
They are not free range & have the space in the run only. Is there something to put on the ground?
We use grass clippings when we mow, but the long grass actually isn’t good, in case they eat it and get grass stuck in their crops. You could use pine shavings (or cedar i forget which is better) to layer on the ground a little bit.

We use grass clippings when we mow, but the long grass actually isn’t good, in case they eat it and get grass stuck in their crops. You could use pine shavings (or cedar i forget which is better) to layer on the ground a little bit.
We're in California & there's no grass to clip so....
But we do have the shavings that are in the coop. Would we just layer that? All over or just in parts?

We're in California & there's no grass to clip so....
But we do have the shavings that are in the coop. Would we just layer that? All over or just in parts?
All over evenly. It will help the smell and the poop not to build up on the dirt. When the shavings get bad, too much poop- poop all over ground- shavings mostly absorbed into ground, then you can rake them out and change them. They should last a few weeks. You can use sand too, if you have it. They like to dust bathe in it, and it lasts longer if you scoop the poop like a giant litter box.

All over evenly. It will help the smell and the poop not to build up on the dirt. When the shavings get bad, too much poop- poop all over ground- shavings mostly absorbed into ground, then you can rake them out and change them. They should last a few weeks. You can use sand too, if you have it. They like to dust bathe in it, and it lasts longer if you scoop the poop like a giant litter box.
I like the sand idea. I just read some post about that. We are dry here so that maybe a good choice. Then scoop the poop out.
Thank-you for your tips & ideas.

I like the sand idea. I just read some post about that. We are dry here so that maybe a good choice. Then scoop the poop out.
Thank-you for your tips & ideas.
I definitely recommend sand! Made the mistake myself of using tree litter, definitely a no go! Sense your located in California I definitely think this would be the best option. Cost efficient too! Just avoid clumping sand like play sand!

I use arborist mulch/wood chips on the ground in my runs. The 2nd outdoor run is more like a giant compost pile, so I'll also add in whatever organic stuff that doesn't go in my actual compost piles - leaves and debris, plant trimmings, occasional grass clippings, old hay bale, etc. Other than adding material there's no real maintenance in that run aside from harvesting some of the black gold from the bottom and put it in the compost for a while before using it elsewhere on my garden and landscaping. The fixed run is similar, just scoop out some of the finer material from the bottom to put in compost, then top off with more fresh mulch or wood shavings, I only do that like once a year if that often.

Our old coop setup was just dirt/decomposed granite. I'd go in and spot clean poops and whatnot, but in general it seemed really compacted and when it got warm it would stink and promote flies. Haven't noticed any of that using wood chips in the new setup, also no chores scoopin poop

Back
Top Bottom