Run Maintenance

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kpg115, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kpg115

kpg115 New Egg

Apr 10, 2008
    What do you do to maintain your chicken run/yard? I have a yard fenced off so my chickens can wander in and out of the coop during the day while I'm at work. They're starting to scratch up all the grass and it's been raining a lot lately and it is very hot/humid, so the yard is starting to get a little mucky.

Do you sprinkle anything out there (DE or something else) to help dry it up? Pine shavings, or perhaps sand? I thought about planting something, but I'm sure they'd immediately scratch it all up.

Thanks!

2. Jacky'sMamma

Jacky'sMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Antelope, CA
    Some shavings and straw, here. They trample it down nicely, I also use DE.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    i use dry leaves!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm planning on using pine shavings and straw also.

5. puirasville

puirasville Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    We use Pine Shavings with DE. For those who do the same: I am wondering how often do you scoop out the run and replace shavings? Rainy season is upon us and I found that for about a week the yard was quite soggy from it raining every few days. If it's raining, is the DE doing anything? Part of it's purpose is to dehydrate poop and bugs to keep odour and sickness down but if it's raining, wouldn't it just suck up the rain water and be ineffective? Thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by