1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run Material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BillM2, Nov 6, 2013.

1. BillM2

BillM2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    I've put down some tube sand in my covered run which has hardened considerably over the last two months. I'm concerned about how hard this will become once it really gets cold. How should I maintain it and what else can I use?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You could add pine chips over your sand during the Winter. They work good with keeping things dry. One 3 or 4 cf. block goes along way and only 5 bucks at Tractor Supply. I also will spread straw in the run since we always have it available on the farm (shown below) but the chips are better to keep things dry.

[​IMG]

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd rake it once in a while to break the crust, and add MORE sand.
    I suspect it's not deep enough

I'd never add anything organic to an uncovered run, since it will only make it hold more moisture

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I agree with Bear Foot. All I ever do is rake with a leaf rake to clean, then rake with a garden rake to break up, then add some more sand. I think if you add chips/straw, etc. you'll have nothing but a wet mess, depending on your location. BTW...put your location in your profile so people can see where you are from. It helps when giving advice. (Go to My Profile >> Edit Community Profile >> put in your location >> click save. Then your location will appear in your box to the left of your posts.)

BTW...what is tube sand? I have never heard that term.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  5. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    Thanks so far for the suggestions! Tube sand is sold at home and farm supply stores that is packaged in 60lb tubes used for sanding driveways or to add weight to the back of a truck sportin' a snow plow. The sand is a little grittier or coarse. I thought it would be great for the run but I think I need to break up what I have and add more. Tube sand is typically sold at winter time.

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    OH, didn't know that's what they called it. Thanks. I used construction sand, at the recommendation of many on this site. It has little pebbles in it which makes good grit for the chickens. You can buy it in bulk at almost any nursery or quarry if you have one in your area. I think you can get it at Lowes and HD, too, in bags for easy transport.

7. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I use sand, too. I don't do anything to it in the winter. I would never add shavings to my sand. The beauty of sand is that it doesn't hold water, the shavings would defeat the purpose. When the sand freezes, I just sweep off the snow and the girls run around on it all winter!

8. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    Does the sand get compacted?

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That is the beauty of sand...it does not compact and when wet it does not stick to feet or clump. Wet sand is a bit heavy, but once it dries it goes back to being light. I switched to sand about a year ago and will never go back to regular bedding of any kind. Sand....[​IMG]

10. BillM2

Sep 16, 2010
    Mid-Hudson Valley
    Unless you break-up and rake the sand on a regular basis, it will compact. At least the type of sand I used does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by