Run Not Straight

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by catterbug, Jun 19, 2010.

1. catterbug

catterbug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ohio
    I am designing my coop now. I have 8 Chickens. Is it Ok to make the run about 3-4 feet wide around the entire coop, It would have 4 turns.? This would give me about 70-80 Feet of run but nothing longer than 12 feet long. Is this OK or should I have a big wide open area for them?

Thank you.

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Personally, I would build a little more run space for them. If you use that same idea go about 6 feet wide all the way around it would be much better in my own opinion.

3. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Be great for chicken races. If they get tired of left turns then they can make right turns. Better put bales in the turns in case they go too wide and crash.

4. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    shape is irrelevant, space is space, i have a narrower but longer run

5. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Personally, I wouldn't do it , only because we have a lot of predators around and I would prefer to be able to see my birds and what is going on. I don't know what your setup is like though or what issues, if any, you face. Keep in mind that you will need to use more fencing though, so there is that additional cost, but if your coop is small the added expense should be minimal. Just my thoughts... good luck on your build. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by