1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run planning – raccoons, bobcats, fishers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Petect, May 3, 2016.

1. Petect

Petect Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hampton, Ct
    Hi ALL This is my second post on BYC.
    I think I have a good handle on making my coop predator proof but I could use some advice on the run. It will be about 10’ X 16’, and I’m looking for the cheapest thing that will work... We have our share of predators, but my main concern is dealing with the climbers. Mainly raccoons, bobcats, and fishers. I plan to skirt the run with ½” hardware cloth. How high do I need to go with it? At what height can I start using something cheaper – maybe 2 x 4” welded? I’m sure they all can climb hardware cloth and welded fencing with ease so how about the top? There are hawks in the area too.
    Thanks
    Pete

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Most go at least 3 feet up and six inches down. For hawks many use high test fishing line.

3. Petect

Petect Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Hampton, Ct
    Thanks
    Any other thoughts.
    Pete

4. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    There are certainly many different opinions on this subject. What I decided to do is to cover the entire run with chicken wire and then cover that with 2x4 welded wire. I'm skirting the run with 2' of 2x4 welded wire that I'm just laying on the ground and then landscaping on top of. My main predators are possums, raccoons, hawks and cats. The chicken wire should keep the raccoons and such from being able to reach into the run and the 2x4 will keep the predators out. I'm doing the chicken wire even on the top to keep the native wild birds out of the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by