Run question

ChellesChickens

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Okay so we aren’t finished yet, but we are trying to figure out what to put here. It’s just dirt, we thought about gravel, but after reading a few peoples opinions I’m rethinking. This isn’t final grade, but it’ll still have a slight slant and it won’t be covered. We will have gutters, but still need something so it doesn’t just keep washing out with rain and doesn’t get muddy. This is right outside their door to the run… I don’t want to use sand, it’ll just wash away and will get wet since the run won’t be covered…. Any ideas???
1BA677BB-4A6C-47CB-AB70-496B54D1B542.jpeg

Look into deep litter - it's a composting system of various organic matter that helps control mud, provide drainage, and and eats up poop and odors. Looking at that big pile of brush, that's all just free litter lying there.
Lol that’s a huge brush pile that needs to be burned. It’s full of dead trees, scrap wood from the coop, and lots of dead limbs….. but I get what you’re saying.

Lol that’s a huge brush pile that needs to be burned. It’s full of dead trees, scrap wood from the coop, and lots of dead limbs….. but I get what you’re saying.
Not sure of your area, but you can probably rent a wood chipper and turn that scrap into mulch. You can also get free wood chips from tree services https://getchipdrop.com/?ref=chipdropcom

Deep litter is the best. A second benefit (discussed in a lot of other threads) is that it turns into the most glorious compost you could want for your garden.

I have heard horrible things about gravel. Poop washes down into it, doesn't decompose, and STINKS when it gets wet. Plus, the stones can injure the chickens' feet, setting you up for bumblefoot.

Concrete or pavers or any solid surface gets to be very hard on feet and legs too. Try standing on cement all day, barefoot. Jump up and down on it. Sit down and try to get comfortable. Not happening. That's what chickens do all day, and they need a softer surface too.

Back
Top Bottom