1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

run question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ginger c., Jun 7, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    ok so our coop is coming along, and now we have to start thinking about the run! we're trying not to use treated wood, because of the potential crap that can leach into the ground [​IMG] , we know the drawbacks, anyway... does anyone have any suggestions for how to secure the run to the ground so that other critters can't get in/under? i've read about burying the wire i'm just very simple-minded when it comes to all this building stuff [​IMG], so how does one bury the wire? do you have do dig a trench [​IMG]?? help please! we gotta get the chickens out of the house!! [​IMG]

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I would use treated wood so it doesn't rot. Here's how my apron looks . No digging requir[​IMG]ed.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you don't use treated wood, what ARE you going to use? Most other woods will rot through Real Real Fast in the ground-contact parts.

The p/t wood currently in use, ACQ rather than the old CCA stuff, is even less of a problem for leaching than the old stuff was, and even the old CCA did not leach MUCH of anything into the soil. In most urban locations, and many suburban/rural ones, there's probably ALREADY more 'nasty contaminants' in the soil under your run site than p/t wood would add.

And, like I said, if not that, then what?

As far as digproofing, which has nothing to do with whether you're using p/t wood, it is far easier and pretty much as effective to do a 2-3' wide apron on the outside of the run fence than it is to bury 18" of run fence in the ground. See other threads for instructions.

(BTW, you know what's in the galvanized coating on that fence wire, yes? Cadmium, etc, fairly toxic if it gets into you? But again, it DOESN'T normally get into you in meaningful amounts, and if not that, then what?)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    If you don't use PT wood, I would recommend that you dig a trench and fill it with gravel and place the bottom pieces of wood on that - it may help keep it drier but non-PT wood will still rot fairly quickly even this way. As for the wire, I chose not to bury it either - just ran it out onto the ground about 2 feet and covered it with a thick layer of gravel all the way around the run.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:I can't think of a thing to add. Great post!!!

6. Chucken

Chucken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    NorCal SF East Bay
    I used redwood for the base, which is resistant to rot as well as bugs. It is my understanding that treated wood is resistant to bugs, not rot.
    [​IMG]

7. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Treated wood is rot resistant.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I have had 4 x 4 treated wood post in the ground for over 13 years and when I pulled them there was no rot or softness in the buried portion at all. Just like new. I would NEVER
    used anything in farm post construction that was NOT pressure treated. The rest is just a waste of time. I have had railroad cross ties rot out in less than 10 years but not PT
    wood.
    You don't have to bury the wire. Concrete block placed on top of the wire will do the job, as will rocks or any other heavy material that cannot be moved aside by the wild critters.

9. Chucken

Chucken Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    NorCal SF East Bay
    I stand corrected.

10. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Yeah, you can get PT posts with 40 year plus life expectations. That is the norm for our farm and ranch store near here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by