run question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by duffer, Aug 1, 2011.

1. duffer

duffer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Hello: I`am wanting to build a 5 foot x 10 foot run using pressure treated wood for a few cochin bantams is there a way to do this without sinking 4x4`s I hate digging post holes. I thought maybe just building a 5x10 frame out of 2x4 and connecting it to the coop, than wrap it in hardware cloth. Thanks

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    thought maybe just building a 5x10 frame out of 2x4 and connecting it to the coop

That's how I built my two 12 X 18 runs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  3. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I sank 4 x 4 posts but thats because my ground is uneven and I wanted to put sand in the run. If your ground is flat you will do fine with the method you describe. The only thing I would suggest is going with a high rating on the treated lumber that you put on the ground level because it will last longer. Best wishes

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't want my DH sinking posts either - so instead we used three 8ft long 6x6's as a base and positioned them over bricks (for additional drainage). Then mounted 4x4s onto the ultra heavy base.
    There are photos on my Hen House page. Good luck with yours!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by