Run redo (plants?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by UGAchick, Aug 31, 2010.

1. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I lost my flock a couple weeks ago to a curious foster dog. I got rid of him and have ordered 25 chicks from Ideal (and have 10 eggs under my remaining bird set to hatch at the same time the chicks arrive). I thought I could use this opportunity to do some maintenance on my coop and run. The run (like most I am sure) started with grass, but after months of birds is just dirt. Is there anything I can plant in there for my girls that will grow in the next several weeks (it is still quite warm here in GA) and potentially provide them with a green run?

On a side note, I just got some red clover and buckwheat seeds to plant in my garden for the winter (as compost crops). Would the girls like this? We don't get a reliable frost here until the end of november, so whatever I plant should have plenty of time to green up.

My run is probably 150 square feet (I know - too small for all those birds). Any ideas or tips?

Thanks!!

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi UGAchick, I just thought I'd suggest something that I saw someone else do here on BYC. They used old wire baskets turned upside down over wheat, grass, oats or whatever. The greens grew up through the basket where they were eaten but the chickens weren't able to destroy the roots. You'll have plenty of lead-time before your birds become big terrors to plants, but it might be a good thing for helping to keep some of your run green.

3. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Quote:What a great idea! Yes they will love the clover too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by