Run Renovation - no more shoveling snow!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teach1rusl, Jul 11, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I hate shoveling snow (although on this sweltering day it doesn't sound so bad [​IMG]), and so had planned to cover part of the run last year. But lesson learned - it's SO much easier/simpler to do it right the first time than to try to go back and "fix" it later through renovations. So it got put off another year. Winter #3 with chickens will be SO much better - will tarp off the rest of the run to keep the section under cover snow free [​IMG] We roofed a 12 x 15 section, which will give the girls a decent amount of snow-free winter space [​IMG]
    I started by myself, but after trying to balance on top of 2x4s while holding rafters and trying to use the Paslode - I shot a nail through my hand. Funny now, but not so much at the time [​IMG] The plus side of my accident was that DH jumped in and finished the roof for me [​IMG]

Before - how it's been for the past two years: Roofed in wire only...
    [​IMG]
    Rafters going up quickly now that DH took over:
    [​IMG]
    Metal on:
    [​IMG]
    Underside view:
    [​IMG]
    The rest is just wire, and that section will be tarped off come winter time...
    [​IMG]
    Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Gorgeous!! [​IMG]

How is it going to work to put a tarp over the flat wire?? B/c if you have snow, that may well bring the whole thing down. I had an experience like that w/ water in a tarp on a flat wire roof--fortunately I was home and I put slits in the tarp to drain the thing b/f it all came down on the chix! Snow will build up and be very hard to remove, and it gets heavy fast!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, that is gorgous! LOVE IT! [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Oh no...not on top/roof. I'm going to make tarp walls - wall off the rest of the run and just give them that 15 x 12 section rather than the whole run. [​IMG] So although snow will pile up in the rest of the run, I won't care - no shoveling for me!!!

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Great job! [​IMG]

6. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Job well done!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by