Run roof in winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommissan, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    What kind of wire mesh do you recommend on top of my run that will take the snow load in winter? I wish I could use 1/2" hardware cloth but the weight of the snow would crush it. If it's too large, i.e. 4"x4" garden fence, snow passes through, but so do predators. Sooooo any ideas or suggestions?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Metal roofing panels. No rain and no snow if you lift it up on one side.

3. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    We have a corrugated rubber roof. It is set at a slant as is the frame of the run. We have the hardware cloth underneath the roofing. It did start to bow a little this winter but it was a bad winter, and my husband just went out there and shoveled it once. He didn't even need a ladder because there was 4 feet of snow surrounding the run to stand on!

4. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Thanks! I have a stack of old metal roofing in the yard. I'll give it a whirl.

5. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    I used a PVC greenhouse (modified some) for my run. Being in central WI, I too needed something for the snow. It was cheap and easy. Just do a search on line for PVC greenhouse plans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Would 1/2" hardware cloth really buckle? We have chicken wire on the top of one of our rabbit pens which is not sloped at all and a tarp over that and so far it's never buckled. It's been there for 2 yrs. When it gets full of rain water we have to push it up to get all the water to run out.

7. mommissan

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Well, the snow here gets pretty deep. We might get 2-3 feet in one good storm. 1/2" mesh tends o collect the snow. If I'm gone for a half a day during a storm, the weight could level it. We've taken 2 tarp sheds to the dump due to snow already. I wanted to predator proof the run on top, but mesh just won't do I guess. I've always wanted to build a run surrounding an old gazebo frame. In my free time.....

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:That may have worked so far because your rabbit pen in likely much smaller than a chicken run, so the wire only has to span short distances and you have lucked out and not got an ice storm yet.

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:For those of us with lots of snow, metal roofing is one of the best ways to go [​IMG]

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you're wanting to keep the snow out, then I agree that metal roofing is best. If you're just wanting predator protection, then 2x4 welded wire allows snow to go through just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by