Run roofing material

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lereg15, Mar 13, 2015.

1. lereg15

lereg15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    I plan on making a run for the chickens I plan on getting next week, with a 6' chain link fence. I will be putting 28" high, mesh on the bottom of it to try and detour predators from getting in. Also I plan on making a wooden 'fence' on the outside of it as well. My question is could I use regular bird netting for the 'roof' of the run? This is what I was thinking of :http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bird-Nett...r-Bird-Poultry-Avaiary-Game-Pens-New/29608046 . Thank you in advance!!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Anybody?

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    RE: bird netting. Guess it depends on what predators you are trying to keep out and how secure you need the run.

Raccoons can climb and find a way in around the netting, or rip it open & can rip thru chicken wire too.

Some folks have reported even a hawk was able to fall into a run with the netting.

The examples I have seen of using a netting was with heavier type and supported well over the enclosure area. Netting for poultry is made to keep them in, not predators out. IMO if you cannot do a solid roof over the run, then welded wire fencing over the top with netting over that would be better?

RE: 28 " mesh. I assume you mean 1/2 inch hardware cloth. You should attach it along the bottom edge of the chain link fence to prevent grab thrus. I would also attach it to the bottom of the fence going out to form a perimeter against diggers. And fortify that with tamped dirt topped with heavy rocks or steppers.

If you have climbers - dogs, coyote, fox, then fortify the top of the fence so they cannot go over and thru the top.

RE: chain link fence. Make sure you monitor the bottom areas for signs of predator or weather disrupting the integrity of the fort.

RE: predators. You know your area best. But many think they only hunt at specified times. We have seen fox and coyote mid morning and mid afternoon, not just at night. Raccoon here can appear anytime they are hungry, morning, noon, afternoon, night. Owls usually at night, but I hear them before dusk. Hawks are the most predictable.

Hope this helps and that you get more input with suggestions.

4. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Yeah, it 28" tall with 1/2 mesh. Sorry, I should have clarified that a little better. I planned on putting it about 4' underground and then putting, possibly wooden slats around the bottom of the chain link. Maybe even some river rock around the wooden slats as well, for both security and aesthetics.

The reason for the netting question was because of hawks and possibly owls. But.. as you brought up, we do have fox and coons around too. I, probably like most newbies, was thinking that the chickens would be in the coop by the time they would be coming out, and they'd be safe inside by that time. I personally haven't seen anything in our yard, since we have a cat and dog, but it doesn't mean they don't come around.

I just wanted to do something a little cheaper to get by with, for now, but don't want to put my hens in any danger either. Beings that the run would be about 30x10-15, that would be a lot of mesh to cover the area. Any other suggestions on how to do something?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    A dog in the yard should keep raccoon away if the dog has free run of the area. But make sure the dog cannot dig in, many lose their flocks to their own dogs.
    The cat really isn't much help in predator protection, and really don't pose a threat to grown chickens….now baby chicks are a different story.

I agree, the run is too big to roof. But you will need some support for the netting. I have seen folks put poles up in the run to give something to attach for more support. And make sure you really secure the edges of the netting to the fence - there's a couple of youtube videos with hawks in their runs even with netting covering and no obvious way in - guess they may slip between secured edges.

I wish you could get more input.

Maybe repost - copy and paste - with a new heading to catch attention.. like "How to keep hawks out of the run?". I really want to see some suggestions. My flock is totally confined, but I have an adjacent area planning to use for monitored ranging and compost turning - still feel somewhat uncomfortable with so many hawks around here.

6. lereg15

Mar 11, 2015
    Crossville, Tn
    Thanks!! As for my dog, when she was little, she cam around the house whining at us and brought us to the back because there was a baby bird that fell out of it's nest. She won't bother them at all, and she doesn't dig either, so the chickens will be safe around her. I'll post this with another heading and see what happens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by