Run roosting bar

kgm2431

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2020
I am looking for some ideas on a roosting bar for my run. It's 12' x 4' and I want the ladies to be able to get off the ground, especially during the colder temps. I was thinking of splitting a 2x4 and running it approx 2' off the ground from the coop to the door.

I am looking for some ideas on a roosting bar for my run. It's 12' x 4' and I want the ladies to be able to get off the ground, especially during the colder temps. I was thinking of splitting a 2x4 and running it approx 2' off the ground from the coop to the door.
When my hen got bumblefoot, the vet said that square edged roosts can be very hard on their feet. Unfortunately my coop was prefab with 2x4s for roosts, with the 2" side being up. He told me to cover them with pool noodles and that round roosts are better anyways. So, that's my suggestion. If you go with the 2x4 route, use pool noodles, or put them with the 4" side up. Chicken's feet are meant to curl around something. I think ideally a small tree would work best but I know that's not always plausible. I'm no expert on this topic, just passing along what I was told. Good luck!

We have tree branches in the run. 2x4 with 4 up in the coop. Just redid inside the coop. Tried 4 side up. With more occupants wanted a little more roost space. Not sure they cared very much about the change . The landing areas are soft. I think is important.

Attachments

• 20200709_135231.jpg
    20200709_135231.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200709_135326.jpg
    20200709_135326.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 34
I ripped (cut down the middle) a 2x4 and put it 3 1/2 feet off the ground between net support towers. I keep one of the chicken toys close so they can make a short hop up if they don't want to fly up. They like it a lot.

Attachments

• chicken mix.jpg
    chicken mix.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 28
  • runii.jpg
    runii.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 25
I don't really have a good picture of it, but I have what I call a roost tree in my runs. My new one has a center 4x4 2ith 4 2x4's 2' long extending out in each 4 directions and supported with 45° braces. Three chickens can sit on each one if they push it and they don't poop on each other.

Here is a pic of the one in our back coop in the middle. Right behind the Roo
e1-large.jpg

I have large tree branches both in the coop and in the run. Some I got from a neighbor who had a fallen tree and let me take some branches and logs from it, and some I collected from the park when I went out for a walk with the kids. If you go off the beaten path, there are always fallen limbs lying around on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom