1. blueheaven

blueheaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i will have a chicken tractor...and the run is 5.5' x 4' with new grass area every other day or so. and i will let them in the backyard (huge!!!) every other day or so.

will this be enough run for 7-10 std hens?

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    How big is the attached coop?

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    It will probaly work if they get let out into the backyard for the majority of the time. Rule of thumb for run size is, 8 to 10 sq ft per bird.

4. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    coop is 4x4, but with 2 floors. thinking about making a side addition.

i only planned 3 pullets, but i ordered 10!!!
    ahhhhh

5. pkeeler

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    38 sf for 10 birds is probably good if they are let out every other day. Commercial chickens are kept in much worse.

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Your run is only 22 sf. - okay for 3 hens, but definitely not big enough for 7-10 hens. You can either sell the extras (won't be hard) or build a bigger run.

7. blueheaven

Mar 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i was thinking about building a 'portable' run to attach to the main run and when i know i will not be home all day - i would attach it and let them have free range of the portable run and the coop/run...

8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:Commercial chickens are debeaked because their living conditions are so cramped that unless debeaked they will hurt each other.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    7-10 hens will DESTROY 4x6' worth of grass, in hours not days. Not just eating the grass, but scratching bare areas and dusting holes. Then they will start in on each other. An extremely difficult habit to do anything about, once it has begun. Letting them out for a while every few days (or even for a few hrs each day) is not really going to help much.

I would suggest seriously reconsidering the plan -- either fewer chickens, or a MUCH bigger run, possibly fixed rather than tractor.

Good luck,

Pat

10. pkeeler

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Certainly, if these birds were allowed to free range then it would be good. It is a tractor, so if it is moved every other day, there will be little damage to grass. And the birds will be frequently let out. It is not optimum, but it is hardly inhumane.

Of course, it would be great for 3 hens.

With two 4x4 floors, that would actually be 32 sf of coop space, which is 3.2 sf per bird, which is not bad. Exceeds most Cooperative recommendations. If two pullets don't make it, then that would be 4 sf per bird which is the general guideline from the pet chicken world.

Of course, how big is this coop? You will need 10' of roost space, would that take up a whole floor?

The best thing would be to build a second tractor and put 5 in each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by