run size

blueheaven

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Central Indiana
i will have a chicken tractor...and the run is 5.5' x 4' with new grass area every other day or so. and i will let them in the backyard (huge!!!) every other day or so.

will this be enough run for 7-10 std hens?

38 sf for 10 birds is probably good if they are let out every other day. Commercial chickens are kept in much worse.

i was thinking about building a 'portable' run to attach to the main run and when i know i will not be home all day - i would attach it and let them have free range of the portable run and the coop/run...

7-10 hens will DESTROY 4x6' worth of grass, in hours not days. Not just eating the grass, but scratching bare areas and dusting holes. Then they will start in on each other. An extremely difficult habit to do anything about, once it has begun. Letting them out for a while every few days (or even for a few hrs each day) is not really going to help much.

I would suggest seriously reconsidering the plan -- either fewer chickens, or a MUCH bigger run, possibly fixed rather than tractor.

Good luck,

Pat

Certainly, if these birds were allowed to free range then it would be good. It is a tractor, so if it is moved every other day, there will be little damage to grass. And the birds will be frequently let out. It is not optimum, but it is hardly inhumane.

Of course, it would be great for 3 hens.

With two 4x4 floors, that would actually be 32 sf of coop space, which is 3.2 sf per bird, which is not bad. Exceeds most Cooperative recommendations. If two pullets don't make it, then that would be 4 sf per bird which is the general guideline from the pet chicken world.

Of course, how big is this coop? You will need 10' of roost space, would that take up a whole floor?

The best thing would be to build a second tractor and put 5 in each.

Back
Top Bottom