1. 50 feet by 8 feet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 100 feet by 4 feet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

My new kennel/coop will be divided off in to 4 by 8 sections.(4x8 inside an 4x8 under) It will have runs off each side that are 50 feet long.

Here the question. Would you have each inside section have a 8 foot by 50 foot run out one side, alternating sides? Or would you give each inside section a 100 foot by 4 foot run, 50 feet on each side+ under the building?

First will be cheaper but the second will be easier to add wire tops.

There is also a sun, shade aspect to the longer option..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    I'd go for the sun/shade option.

3. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    If it can involve shade AND protection (aka wiring the top)? I'd go for that one!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If I understand you correctly, you will need to buy posts anyway to put the wire top on if it's 8 feet wide to go down the middle. You can always put in a little pop door between the runs so you can change where you have them run. You would then end up with 4 possible runs, 4 x 50.

5. rebelcowboysnb

I wont have to have posts in the middle to hold the wire top on the 8x50 option so it would save some on posts but also take almost half the amount of wire.

Both will have a full wire top + shade under the building. One side gets full sun at sun up n the other is full shade. This reverses by sun down.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Hmm I vote for cheaper then, lol.

You can always go back and add some fencing down the middle, eh?

7. rebelcowboysnb

I guess once my bamboo grows in it will all be shade to.

Im sure I will have to go with the 8x50 first because of cost... I guess the question would be, all other things being equal would you think the inmates would like 50x8 or 100x4 better. Its the same square feet just shaped different.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by