1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Run substrate

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tshelly, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Tshelly

Tshelly Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    What substrate do you use for the flooring of your runs? I have a 8' wide by 16' long area I want to use for my run. I was going to use concrete blocks for the border, and put them down either 1-1 1/2 blocks deep, this will be my foundation for the walls. I was then going to place 1/2-1inch of pea gravel for drainage, then a few inches of sand on top. Will this be ok?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    the gravel and sand will become mixed together as the chickens peck and scratch. It really is easiest to just keep it dirt (or grass if that is what it already is).

3. Tshelly

Tshelly Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    I live where the ground is very wet, so that is not an option. At the moment, there is large driveway gravel.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Okay so you are planning to do the gravel several inches and then 6" or so of sand I suspect? That will work, though it will be expensive. You will also need to top it off regularly unless you build the sides of the run high enough past the top of the substrate that it is not thrown out during dust bathing and such. Many people do like sand and they say it is easy to clean and drains well.

You can also try putting down a french drain.

5. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Grab a cup of coffee and do a search on "deep litter".

In my opinion, the best solution for wet environments to eliminate mud, odors, and unwanted flies.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The driveway is where the run will be??
    Is the area low or just in a runoff area?
    Can you divert water runoff away from the run area?

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by