RUN - To cover or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by real_redhead, Apr 4, 2012.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I got the answer to why a raised coop and now I want advice on to cover the run or not. I know it needs to be protected from Hawks and Climbing predators so I know to use something that way. But my question is do we cover the run so it stays dry or does it really matter? I am currently using a chicken tractor with a A - Frame PVC pipe run covered in chicken wire. It has been fine for the flying predators but not so keeping the neighbors chicken killing dog away. I try to cover the run in the rain but it doesn't always work so it gets muddy and stinky. After getting an outrageous estimate to build a covered coop/run together we have decided to go with a Leonard 5x6 coop and hubby will build the run. Should the run be covered so it doesn't get wet and stinky?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I like that my run is covered. Because it is not wet and stinky, I can't even remember the last time I cleaned it. The girls just keep turning over the dirt and it doesn't smell.

3. 78Vette

78Vette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Stuarts Draft Va,
    I am doing my run half covered and half not.

4. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    what are you covering your runs with? steel panels, tarp, wood? Mine's covered with chain link to keep critters out, then I'm building a hoop over it to add a tarp for shade.

5. BigdaddySean

BigdaddySean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    I used the Polytuf panels from Lowe's. Corrugated Vinyl. My run is 8x16, and I cover 12' foot of it, and left 4' just covered with hardware cloth. So far it's been good!

6. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    X2

I bought this from tractor supply...worked great for keeping the snow out of the run
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/kennel-roof-cover-kit-10-ft-x-10-ft--1012319

7. Eowyn2

Eowyn2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    The answer may depend on your climate as well. We built a raised coop with attached run, so there's dryness in the coop as well as under the coop. I didn't cover the run with anything solid, it's just wrapped in chicken wire.

However, I live in an extremely arid climate: 7-9" of rain per year. It just doesn't get that wet here, rain or snow. I plan on growing a squash vine over the run to help shade in summer as well as grow corn in 3-sisters plantings next to coop to shade the coop. Need to worry more about shade than rain here. :)

8. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I am in Virginia so we get out fair amount of rain and snow. It rained today and the run is muddy! So I think it will be covered. c

9. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I live in SE Alaska and BOY does it rain!!! My chicken run is covered with gillnet to keep hawks out and I strung up a rope between 2 trees and tossed a tarp over it tent syle. It keeps the run pretty dry and snow free. If odor becomes a problem, I throw cedar shavings around the yard. Since I covered the run it doesn't get so mucky and the eggs are so much cleaner. I use locally harvested moss in my duck pens to keep them dry and clean.

10. real_redhead

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks for all the info. Update, we got the Leonard coop and it looks great. My wonderful hubby who promised he would build a run is trying to get our contractor to do it. The problem is I have already spent way more than I wanted (coop and new fence). Contractor gave us an estimate for $1350 for a covered run that I think is about 10 ft long by 6 ft wide all materials included (hardwire cloth). This cost is for everything labor and materials. He also quoted us $1050 for labor, framing, roofing the run but us buying and putting in the hardwire cloth. I just asked how much would he charge just in labor and we buy the materials (thinking I can put it on Home Depot charge to give us a little time to pay with no interest any maybe get 10%off). I am waiting to hear back. What are everyone's thoughts should I just let the contracture do it and be done with it and have it done hopefully this weekend. Hubby went out of town to a volleyball tournament. I am not happy about hubby changing his mind but I know he works very hard and would rather pay someone to do it. He said he would work extra hard to pay for it which I know he will, plus since I knew this was coming down I have saved most of the money! THOUGHTS???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by