run to mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brookwoodpat, May 26, 2008.

1. brookwoodpat

brookwoodpat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Tonight, I went out to gather up the free rangers, and bring them into the house, but they were still foraging, and unwilling to come. So I decided to mow the lawn a bit, in the cool of the evening. Come dusk, the bigger of the chicks (two of the Red Stars) jumped into the storage tote (their night brooder) for the ride back to the house, but the seven rhode island reds who were too small to jump in there saw me putting the mower away and came running across the grass to me, cheeping their little hearts out. All willingly let themselves be caught and placed in the storage bin for the ride to the house, except the last Red star. So I shut her in the coop/pen where she was playing keepaway, and took the others into the house. Came out afterwards and she was calling frantically in the pen in the dusk and only too willing to get caught. I don't think, though, that I'll ever forget the sight of those seven RIR babies running across the grass to me frantic to be taken in for the night.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    What a cute image! Thanks for sharing

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I think that is the best part of having chickens. When I go out the back door and mine are foraging in the back yard they all run to me thinking I have food or treats. If I keep walking toward the barn or whatever, I can look behind me and there is a trail of mamas, babies, roosters and all following behind me like a cult. I said I need to get a video but I would have to put it behind my back. My DH loves to watch them too. They will follow me anywhere if they think I have food.

Marie

4. chickiemom9

chickiemom9 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    You just can't beat that chickie love! Wish you could have got a picture of that to share with us. That's okay you will always have that picture with you in your mind and your heart. Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    What a cute image in my mind now. They wanted mama to put em to bed. See what good babies you have?

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    What a precious story. [​IMG] It is that type thing that made me fall head over heels in love with my chickens. I never imagined what precious little animals they are until I got some. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by