run was smashed in storm

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frizzleman74, Nov 2, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    I live in the New England region who just got smashed by the snow blizzard, school was already cancelled for the rest of the week and we are still without power. When i woke up on sunday morning a tree had fallen on my run and smashed it. Fortunately it really isnt that bad and i just have to repair acouple of 1 x 4's. but i finally thought it was done! Now i have to spend a couple more days fixing it. When i get back home and i have power to upload pics i will! Did any of you guys get hit hard by the storm?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Gosh I can't imagine that kind of weather yet. Here in Ohio it's sunny today and in the 50s. We do get some really bad ice and snow storms though, and we live out in the country. When we lose power, sometimes it's for a whole week. So I do know how you feel.

So sorry you're going through all that right now! ARG!

We lose everything when we lose power. We're all electric. This spring, we had a wood burning stove installed in the basement (man cave haha), and we bought a generator so we can at least have some light and television.

Oh, and the grill is in the garage so we can cook.....YUM.

Some of the things we do are we fill empty two liter pop bottles with water and store them. That way, we can flush the toilets, and wash dishes. We also have a water cooler, because we don't like to drink the well water, so we have drinking water.

It really sucks when you have to go to work...you can't take a shower....I usually go to a friend's house or something to get ready.

I sure hope you're warm enough and comfortable!

Take care,
    Sharon

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im down in Amherst NH and we were hit hard too. 75 % of the town still without power. No school here either. We have a gen. so we had heat and water...have to with 5 kids, not many people have room for us lol!!!

I just posted with pics of my run, the snow load took it down. I even took the tarp off before the storm, i thought that would help.

Where is Fairfield County? I hope you are warm and get power back soon!!!!

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    While you're on the weather, here in middle Georgia it's 65 and not a cloud in the sky. God knows I love the South. [​IMG]

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Blah blah blah...... [​IMG]

6. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    FINALLY, POWER!!!!! Heres what happened to the coop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to start up the rebuilding process soon, it shouldn't be too bad!

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Thats Crazy. We live in Oregon and nope we have no weather like that yet!!

8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    NH here- and Thanks be to God we did not lose power, but many folks in town did and many surrounding towns also cancelled school. Sorry about your run [​IMG] Hope the snow melts soon and you can fix it up quick. Our snow is melting pretty quick as the day temps have been low 50's

9. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Wow, glad you chickens are okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by