1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

run withthe coop pro's and con's

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by texasrangers1, Aug 2, 2014.

1. texasrangers1

texasrangers1 In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    we are designing a new coop for the bigger chickens so I can get ready to move my babies in the smaller coop, i was just wanting to know how long of a run I need to put for them. Do they even need a run?
    I have thought that I could just let them out into the garden during the day and put them up at night.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Depends on how much you like your garden, and how you value your flock. They'll shred everything you've got planted, and they're a bit exposed to possible predators without a run.

3. texasrangers1

Aug 1, 2014
    we already got most of the crop out, we are finishing getting everything out today and i was just going to let some grass grow in their main coop because it is bare dirt. and the garden has bad vegetables and pumpkins and lots of grass.

4. texasrangers1

Aug 1, 2014
    so you would recommend a run for the chickens, what about the babies do they need the same even though we will probably let them out of their coop also and let them run around and stretch their legs.

5. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

How big is your flock, and where are you located? Any snow in wintertime? Much rain? Extreme heat in the summers? All things to take into consideration.

6. texasrangers1

Aug 1, 2014
    I've got 12 chickens located in eastern Oklahoma. we are in the city for now but when we move out to our farm we will be in the country.
    their is snow in the winter, medium rain, extreme heat depends on the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by