runaway broody hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kwallis, Sep 9, 2016.

1. kwallis

kwallis New Egg

Sep 5, 2016
    Mexico, New York
    i think i have a broody hen on my hands. 5 days ago she ran away, this morning she came home but ran off again. i've been home all day so they were free ranging. she became very hostile towards my dogs, and me. will she return home again? now that I know that she's broody i'll either buy her a chick or leave her in a cage for a few days(which i hope i don't have to do). has anyone experienced this, a runaway hen?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    How was she hostile? Was she puffing up and making deep "cluck cluck" noises? This is common broody behavior. If she has run away and she is broody, she more than likely has a nest and eggs hidden somewhere. If this is the case, I suggest you find her before a critter does. She'll be a sitting duck (or chicken?) for a hungry predator. You can then buy her some chicks or some fertile eggs to hatch if she is broody. I hope you find her and good luck!

3. LucyLePeep

LucyLePeep New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    North Georgia
    Second time owning chickens. Only hens that we free range on 2 acres of partially wooded land. Close neighbors in a small neighborhood. First time I've heard of a 'broody hen" and wonder if this has happened to me. In the last 2 days 2 of our red hens who have been laying for a month or so in the coop have disappeared. I too noticed a few bowing up at the dogs out of nowhere and suddenly fewer eggs in the coop. No sign of a snatch and grab and our 5 dogs keep most predators away (no they do not have unsupervised access to the hens). They have been wandering to neighbor yards and there is a rooster at the end of the street penned with hens. We at first thought a hawk the culprit as there is one occasionally spotted, but they have more than ample cover. Where could my ladies have gone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by