Runaway Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vonniefisher, Feb 8, 2016.

1. vonniefisher

vonniefisher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    merriam, ks
    So, my easter egger, Gertrude, decided to go for an outing on Friday afternoon. I got home from work and she was missing and I was DEVASTATED - I just knew that a hawk or something had gotten her, but there was no evidence of a struggle. Then I remembered that she is a flyer and has flown to the top of the 6 ft fence surrounding their free range area and that maybe she "flew the coop". I just knew that she was gone for good, and lo and behold the next evening at 6:02 I was looking out the window and who is strutting on the outside of that fence???? You guessed it - she came back home - I was ELATED and I ran out with some sunflower seeds and she came running to me. Is it normal for a chicken who "flies the coop" to find her way back home??? I had no idea she would come back - she is VERY LUCKY b/c a coon, opossum, fox, or dog could have gotten her while she on her overnite trip. I have no idea where she spent the nite. I looked EVERYWHERE and could not find her. Other than missing a few tail feathers she seems fine.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    If she is missing tail feathers than something got a hold of her and she got away, then probably hid until she felt safe, you have a lucky hen, I would clip one wing so she doesn't try it again, she might not be so lucky next time.

3. vonniefisher

vonniefisher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2015
    merriam, ks
    Her wing has already been clipped ;-)I was afraid that was what the missing tail feathers meant

4. sweetbeak

sweetbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

You're very lucky, my easter egger is also a jumper and I got home from work yesterday to find feathers everywhere, so I got my dog who is terrier to smell the feathers and he raced into the forest as my property backs onto a forest, and within a few minutes he located her, just feathers. Everything else gone, [​IMG]. I think it was a cat or wild dog as i domt think foxes eat the entire chicken, plus in Australiawe dont have thise funny looking squirrel lookinh animals that seem to get a lot of chickens in the US

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Fox will leave piles of feathers as they drop and readjust their grip on chicken, sometimes you can follow a trail of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by