Runaway Chicken

janmaree

Chirping
Dec 21, 2016
I need some advice about a chicken we thought had either run away or been killed by a predator. We live on a couple of acres and had searched the place a few times. Then yesterday my husband found her living under an old car trailer, sitting on a LOT of eggs! We tried to move her but she got really cranky. I’m not sure of the best thing to do - move her back to the flock, where she’ll probably get picked on, put her in our ‘quarantine’ coop by herself or just leave her where she is (she’s obviously finding enough food and water). I’d say she’s probably broody - should I take the eggs away? I just want to do the right thing for her, any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received

How long has she been gone?
Put her in the broody breaker crate,(will help with reintegration)
and lock the rest of the flock up so they start laying in the coop nests.
I'm assuming your birds are free ranged.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom