Runaway Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bjchickens, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bjchickens

bjchickens New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    I am new to free range chickens. And have had since June- 9 hens and one rooster. We recently had to cull the rooster and brought in a new rooster. Since then (3 weeks ago) I have had 2 hens leave the nest (one at a time) and am concerned. I had never lost a hen before. What is the best way to introduce a new rooster to your flock? This new Rooster has taken the hens up to an acre away- same property. I have 5' fences surrounding the property. Occasionally a hen will jump a fence- but we have always heard them and helped them over the fence- or they came back the next day.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Try keeping them locked up for a couple of days. This has always worked for me.

3. bjchickens

bjchickens New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    i am doing that today. Will keeping them "cooped" up- rehome them?? Remind them where they need to stay? Just curious.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I would also suggest locking them in for at least three days. If that doesn't solve the problem, lock them in for a week. You need to teach the new rooster where his home is. Once he's been imprinted on the new home, he'll stop leading the hens away.

5. bjchickens

bjchickens New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Thank you for the tips!! Today is the first day, and I will keep them in there for the weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by