Runaway chicks...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vajjslayer09, Oct 12, 2015.

1. vajjslayer09

vajjslayer09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    Southeast ohio
    So i had 16 chicks about 7 weeks old i let them out of their coop to run around for a bit all of a sudden my dog chased two of them into my field/woods...after looking for them for 2 hours i assumed the worse had happened...either a predator had gotten them or they flew to my neighbors...so i gave up checked outside a couple more times during night figured they may come back...three days later walking thru the field i see two heads pop up lol here they found a hole and both jumped in it...no food no water with 40 degree lows at night..both are doing well lol any others have this happen??

2. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Oh my gosh!! So happy you found those two cuties. They were playing hide and seek with you. Glad to hear they are ok [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  3. Bigwig

Bigwig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    NC
    When you said "hole" did you mean a burrow or just a depression in the ground?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. izziebean

izziebean Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    **My jaw just dropped** YAY BABIES ARE OKAY! I did have one girl who 'ran away'. I was keeping them in the garage at night and in the morning I would transfer them to the run in the morning. One morning I thought I'd let them walk out of the garage into the fence by themselves. To my horror, one did not make it. My heart dropped. Out of 24 baby chicks I got in the spring, only 4 were hens and she was one! I searched and searched. In the afternoon, I walked around the neighborhood yelling "Paris!!!". When it started getting later in the day, I was so scared about nightfall. I started going to my neighbor's houses, knocking on the door, and asking "have you seen a chicken running down the street". At one house, I heard several people LAUGHING SO LOUD. Neighbors were going with me to their backyards to comb the bushes to see if my hen was hiding in them. No luck.

Then dusk came and my heart sank. My beautiful Paris. I had put all the others up in the garage for the night. I came in to cry. I wrote a long post for facebook detailing my loss. With the sun gone, I couldn't quit looking. I took my phone outside and used the flashlight app... still calling her name... and still hearing silence. Finally, I bent down one more time and put the flashlight under the deck. I see the two little twigs sticking straight up. There are many leaves under the deck so I didn't think much about it. I stood up to leave but thought, 'hmm that was odd'. So I bent back down. Two twigs, parallel, sticking straight up. I said "Paris?". This time, I was not screaming her name, it was a quiet inquisitive question asked by an exhausted mom. She instantly screamed back 'BAWWWWWWK BAWK BAWWWK'. She lifted her leg and I counted the five toes. My little mottled houdan. The deck sits so low that her whole body was covered by the wood from the deck. I just laughed and fell over. I kept saying her name and she kept answering. She was about 10 feet away from the run the whole day. She came out and I just held her for an hour.

5. vajjslayer09

vajjslayer09 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    Southeast ohio
    just a burrow where rabbits have been running thru brush on field

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by