Runaway Guinea!.?

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
i had a pearl guinea hen at the ranch with the otherrs and about three weeeks ago she vanished. i thought she had gone broody so i looked in every imaginable area till i gave up and presumed her dead. well today a boarder at the barn told me that they heard a guinea from far off (towards the south incase it matters) so my question is if she is nesting, will she come back when the eggs hatch?

Last edited:
Well, I can tell you, they range pretty far. We had a guinea hen come out of the wooded side of our acreage, which is about 1/2 mile thick woods to the road about two months ago.

There are no other farms or houses with poultry of any kind within a few miles, so who knows where she came from.

She ranges much farther out from the hens, and I have seen her down at the road when coming up our lane. Our lane is 975 feet long.

She may be out wandering or with a clutch. Hopefully she comes back to you.

Em

Make sure you put out treats for her, that way she'll know where home is. I've heard they wander pretty far too. If she has found other guineas on someone elses property, she may not come home. Not to be grim or the bearer of bad news. They are flock critters like chickens. That's all.

I would put out favorite treats for her. If you find her, you may want to pen her up for a couple of weeks to reinforce "home".

-Kim

This may sound a little weird, but go as close as you can to where you heard her and "call" her with the two-syllable "pot-rack" call or the "ak-ak-ak-ak-ak" (I know, it sounds stupid, but I've done it before myself and it does work, amazingly enough!).

Back
Top Bottom