Runaway Rooster

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
About a week ago I woke up to a rooster crowing. However, I realized it wasn't either of my boys. When I looked outside I saw a rogue rooster walking around my yard. I went outside and shooed him away and proceeded to let my flock out to free range as normal. About an hour later I heard the rooster again and looked outside to see him back in my yard. The girls didn't seem to care but he was driving my two boys and my guineas nuts. I chased him again and realized he belonged to my next door neighbor. Once I got him back on his own property I realized that he is the only chicken they have. So he must be coming into my yard since there are more of his kind. Yesterday I was outside and he wandered over again. I didn't chase him right away and waited to see how things would go. I guess I felt bad that his owners didn't buy a friend for him. Everything was fine for about an hour and then all of a sudden he started to attack my Cochin Frizzle rooster and before I knew it I had a full blown cock fight in my backyard! I spent the next two hours chasing this rooster away from my yard but he continued to come back. I went over to talk to his owners but they are never home. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can either keep this guy out of my yard or at least help him get along with my roosters? I wouldn't mind him over here if they didn't fight.

Well it happened. Went out to check on everyone and my Cochin rooster was covered in blood. Big cut on his throat and cuts all over his face. Walked all the way to the neighbors and they weren't home. Going back this evening to tell them I'll be shooting their rooster and dropping him off on their front porch if they don't contain him. I've had enough now.
I wouldn't even tell them. SSS is a good rule to live by. You never know how they'll react if you shoot their 'beloved pet rooster". Seriously, people can be pretty unpredictable. I'd just dispatch that rooster immediately and bury him. Don't tell anyone.

Waiting a few days is asking for more harm to come to your rooster. It's only going to get worse. Unless you lock your chickens up until that roo is dealt with, the only other way to protect them is to get rid of that guy.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know what breed he is? He's absolutely gorgeous.

I don't want to kill him because he's not mine. I also don't think I could bring myself to do it. He's not mean towards people at all. He's just aggravating my two roosters. He's back again today walking the perimeter of the woods. He just hasn't come that close to the coop...yet.

I don't want to kill him because he's not mine. I also don't think I could bring myself to do it. He's not mean towards people at all. He's just aggravating my two roosters. He's back again today walking the perimeter of the woods. He just hasn't come that close to the coop...yet.
Leave a note on the owner's door.

I will try leaving a note for them today. I'm not sure they will care or do anything about it though. Woke up this morning and he was standing outside the coop door waiting for me to let my flock out. Had to chase him again but now he's back. My Cochin rooster keeps trying to chase him away but they just end up fighting and I have to break it up.

It appears you have a choice to make. Will you let him keep coming over hoping the fights don't turn lethal or will you dispatch of said rooster interloper to secure safety and peace in your flock? If his owners won't do anything about him, those are the two choices I see. Unless you can catch him and rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom