rung spacing on ladder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by glowworm, Jun 28, 2008.

1. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    I am currently building my ladder that goes from the ground to the coop, 2 feet up, ladder is 5 feet long. I am building it "ladder style" ie, no plywood plank.

How far apart should each rung be for standard large breeds?

2. KPort Chick

KPort Chick Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Maine
    I wondered about that too, and made a little mistake the first time. I used a 1X10 piece of Poplar and then nailed down thin wooden shims to make the "rungs". At first I spaced then 6 inches apart, but that proved to be too far apart for them (esp the little Bantams I have). So I added more so now they are 3 inches apart and that seems good.

3. zmcdad

zmcdad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    Corner, AL
    I've got a treated 2x6 for my ladder. I cut notches spaced 4-6 inches from top to bottom. Then, I attached some 1/2 to 3/4 inch twigs with small (4d) finishing nails. The twigs are 6-8 inches long. I can send pics if you like.

Ben

4. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    we just did ours tonight and we spaced them 3 1/2 inches cause we have some banties. It seemed to work well.

5. glowworm

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    thanks everyone. I just finished the ladder- centered the 1x2s every 4 inches, so the gap is like 2.5" between each. I went with the better safe than sorry motto.

6. swimcoch

swimcoch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2008
    Boonville, IN
    I wouls love to see pics of any of these ladders.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here's the ladder that Skip built for our Bantams in the modified Chick-N-Barn/Yard...

[​IMG]

The rungs are Tulip Poplar branches that are spaced about every 5 inches (3 and a half inches between each rung). The ladder itself is 4' 8" long.

Dawn

8. glowworm

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    swimcoch,

here is the completed product. not painted or attached yet. ended up getting a plank cause I thought it would look better, and i was worried about them going up it when they are young. still 5 feet long.

[​IMG]

9. chickenlecoupe

chickenlecoupe New Egg

May 6, 2015
    Wow I like your ladder spacing Thank you for sharing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by