rung spacing on ladder

glowworm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 10, 2008
SacraTomato, CA
I am currently building my ladder that goes from the ground to the coop, 2 feet up, ladder is 5 feet long. I am building it "ladder style" ie, no plywood plank.

How far apart should each rung be for standard large breeds?

I wondered about that too, and made a little mistake the first time. I used a 1X10 piece of Poplar and then nailed down thin wooden shims to make the "rungs". At first I spaced then 6 inches apart, but that proved to be too far apart for them (esp the little Bantams I have). So I added more so now they are 3 inches apart and that seems good.

I've got a treated 2x6 for my ladder. I cut notches spaced 4-6 inches from top to bottom. Then, I attached some 1/2 to 3/4 inch twigs with small (4d) finishing nails. The twigs are 6-8 inches long. I can send pics if you like.

Ben

thanks everyone. I just finished the ladder- centered the 1x2s every 4 inches, so the gap is like 2.5" between each. I went with the better safe than sorry motto.

Here's the ladder that Skip built for our Bantams in the modified Chick-N-Barn/Yard...

ry%3D320

The rungs are Tulip Poplar branches that are spaced about every 5 inches (3 and a half inches between each rung). The ladder itself is 4' 8" long.

Dawn

swimcoch,

here is the completed product. not painted or attached yet. ended up getting a plank cause I thought it would look better, and i was worried about them going up it when they are young. still 5 feet long.

ladder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom