Runk chick help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brynna, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Brynna

Brynna New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    I got my first chicks last Friday. 5 Americana and 1 Wyandotte chick. There were apparently 16 of them the day before and a man bought 15 of them and left the runt behind. The lady at the store said she would be fine with the other chicks. I was told she is supposed become a bigger chicken than the Americana. When I got them they were a day old. The 5 Americana all have started to grow most of their wing feathers but the Wyandotte still only has feathers on the tips of her wings and is much smaller than the others. I worry about her and I'm not sure that this is not normal. I am wondering if I can do anything to help her out or if I even should be worrying.

2. Wyandottes aren't particualarly fast growers, so I wouldn't worry. If shes a runt indeed, not much we can do to stop it. But I'd just reckon shes slower grower, a hidden bantam, or the americaunas are just growing faster XD.

I've never had a runt chicken, however I have had a runt duck. (2, actually. Both died)

3. Brynna

Brynna New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    Thanks I had no idea that they were slower growers thanks!

4. Brynna

Brynna New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    I ment Runt not Runk

5. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Assuming they are not bantams, my experience coincides with what the store told you. Wyandottes do end up bigger than "Americanas," which are a medium "breed." (Quotations added to indicate that Americanas are cross-breeds.)

Each breed grows at a different rate. As long as the little Wy is healthy, just keep feeding it and watch 'er grow :)

Oh, Welcome to BYC!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. Jonathan w

Jonathan w Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    all chicks are differant shapes and sizes, i wouldn't worry about her size as long as she is eating and drinking, however, baby rooster do feather out slower that baby hens, so you might have a rooster. you will be able to tell for sure when it lays an egg or crows.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    My ameraucanas and EEs are really good fliers and feather out quickly. The wyandottes feather more at a normal pace at least ours always have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by