1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Runner advice please....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thomassio, Oct 20, 2013.

1. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    I feel like I'm always asking advice but if people keep being helpful then I will keep asking!
    Today I collected two new runners, I already had three chocolate girls but today I picked up a blue girl and a lovely trout male. They seem to be mixing really well other than the original girls giving him a good peck on the back of the neck now and then which I hope isn't a problem.
    My concern is this.... I didn't realise until I looked at them alongside my beautiful girls but the two new additions-especially him- seem wet, are they ok? Will there plumage work itself out now they have some space to free range?

Thanks guys.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A few things could be going on.

They could be getting ready to molt, and a big change like this could accelerate that.

They could have a nutritional deficiency. It can happen in the best of homes - some ducks just have need of more of some nutrients. Try some poultry vitamins, try a little extra protein for a short spell.

They could be a little under the weather. Anyone can pick up a virus or bacteria. Again, keeping them well fed and sheltered, with fresh water goes a long way.

I like giving a lukewarm bath. Gives me a chance to watch, listen and sniff (some problems have distinctive odors).

Those are my thoughts.

3. thomassio

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks Amiga. Is it likely to put them off me hugely by catching them to give them a warm bath? I will try some vitamins, hopefully now they can free range they should have access to all sorts and everything!
    So is the original girls picking on the new two acceptable? I guess they need to establish a (excuse the pun) pecking order, so it will fade out soon? It's not a lot or especially vicious, just the odd sneaky peck on the back and it's not bothering them at all really!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have found that although they don't like being picked up, the baths seem to really be a treat, and ducks have learned that I don't harm them, and there is a treat involved, so they have adapted nicely when we need to go through a treatment.

Some poking and shoving appears to do no harm, and does seem to stabilize the social order somewhat. I start new ducks out on the other side of a temporary divider fence initially, when I am not nearby. Then after a while we all run together.

5. thomassio

Jul 31, 2013
    Great, thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by