Runner/Blue Swedish

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WIwinterChick, Oct 26, 2016.

1. WIwinterChick

WIwinterChick Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Hi! I have a female Runner, Bob, and a male Swedish Blue, Ricky. They are 26 weeks old today, and Bob hasnt laid any eggs yet. I'm wondering if this is normal? They are in their house/pen for the winter (since Oct 1) (96 sq ft all together). They have had a constant supply of food and water, and get the kitchen veggie scraps. They are living with 3 chickens and rooster (they were delivered together at 3 days old), but the chickens have the upper level of their " bi-level duplex" Could it just be the temperature dropping, or what? My husband has been waiting for duck eggs since April lol. Any info is appreciated. Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @WIwinterChick Welcome to BYC!

shorter days less day light can mean a difference in egg laying although my young Buffs and Runners are still laying they will be 6 months old first of Nov. Might just be because they started early. So hard to say, you still may get eggs before winter sets in completely or you may have to tell your husband he has to wait for spring. Really all depends on the ducks. Hopefully you'll come out to a nice surprise very soon. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. WIwinterChick

WIwinterChick Just Hatched

Oct 25, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Thank you! Being a mom (to humans and pets), I'm always over-worrying over everything. Do you know of any behaviors, etc. that I should watch for that could/should cause worry? I have done so much research to have a healthy happy flock, but I'm always looking to learn more! Thank you!

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Try not to worry until you have to, ha ha I've been keeping water fowl since 2004 I need to take my own recommendations right. I think that is just part of having any animals being on the look out for any problems and catching them before they get worse. Feed them the best food you can make sure they have drinking water always and snacks every day [[​IMG]]

Spend time out with them as much as you can [hard to do in dead of winter] but that is how I pick up any thing off and of course quality of eggs, is shell good and hard. Things like that. When they first begin to lay and the laying mechanism is just getting the kicks worked out you may get soft shelled eggs tiny eggs or misshapen eggs, but usually after a few weeks things settle down, I keep oyster shell out year round for my layers. I also keep calcium citrate[human] on hand in case I notice a soft shell at other times too. Then they get it in their drinking water. it takes alot of calcium to produce an egg.

We have a learning center at top of page with lots of info and then you can always come here. We will always be willing to help if we can..
    Main thing is to just relax and enjoy our birds they bring so much pleasure.

You lil female looks like she has fawn and white runner in her. Both are beautiful. @WIwinterChick

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by